Cavalry in Training
Pour la vitesse
Chaque film de ce site est disponible pour visionnage en basse vitesse et en haute vitesse.
- Basse vitesse : recommandée si votre accès Internet se fait avec un modem de 56 kbps ou moins. Le visionnage en basse vitesse fournit une moins bonne qualité d'image et de son.
- Haute vitesse : recommandée avec service Internet haute vitesse (ADSL, modem câble) ou avec ordinateur d'institution. Le visionnage en haute vitesse fournit la meilleure qualité d'image et de son. Le visionnage en haute vitesse peut produire des images saccadées et des interruptions occasionnelles de son si la vitesse de votre connexion est insuffisante.
En cas d'hésitation, essayez d'abord de visionner en haute vitesse. Si cela ne fonctionne pas, essayez la basse vitesse.
Pour le format
Les films peuvent être disponibles pour visionnage en format Macromedia Flash et QuickTime. Tous offrent une qualité égale d'image et de son.
- Format Flash : permet de visionner le film directement dans la page Web, sans avoir à ouvrir une application externe. Nécessite le plugiciel Flash (offert gratuitement ici Macromedia Flash Player).
- Format QuickTime : nécessite l'application QuickTime, soit la version 7 ou plus récent (offert gratuitement ici QuickTime).
Sous-titrage pour malentendants (CC)
Consiste à inscrire à l'écran sous forme de sous-titres, la partie sonore d'un film, par exemple les dialogues, la narration, incluant rires, bruits, etc. Ainsi, les personnes vivant avec un handicap auditif peuvent lire ce qu'ils ne peuvent pas entendre. Le sous-titrage est offert pour quelques films. Pour y avoir accès, vous devez sélectionner QuickTime (sous Format) et Avec sous-titrage pour malentendants (sous Accessibilité).
Consiste à offrir une description orale des éléments visuels clés d'un film, de telle sorte que les personnes vivant avec un handicap visuel peuvent concevoir une imagerie mentale en rapport avec le déroulement des images à l'écran. La vidéodescription est offerte pour quelques films. Pour y avoir accès, vous devez sélectionner QuickTime (sous Format) et Avec vidéodescription (sous Accessibilité).
03 min 58 s
Canadian War Records Office
Three distinct sequences depict various aspects of WWI military horsemanship. In the first segment, a lone soldier parades his horse before troops, probably describing his actions in the process. His fall is likely intended to demonstrate how horses must be trained not to wander and to respond to the calls of fallen soldiers. In battle a horse may be the only means for an injured man to reach safety. Horses were also trained to lie down and act as shields against enemy fire. Such methods date from the South African War, but were of less use in WW1 conditions. Horsed cavalry was considered an army’s principal mobile arm at the beginning of WW1, but its overall role diminished with the onset of trench warfare and the use of barbed wire barriers and machine guns.
The troops depicted in the second segment are British, evident from their lances; Canada did not have a lancer regiment. They demonstrate how to quickly dismount and form a firing line capable of resisting the enemy’s advance. This manoeuvre was employed in the spring of 1918 to stop the last German offensive. Note how one man in four remains mounted to lead the others’ horses to the rear.
The unit depicted in the third segment might be the Canadian Cavalry Brigade (CCB) Machine Gun Squadron. Each dismounted soldier carries a different component of a Vickers machine gun—the tripod, the machine gun itself and the ammunition—which they assemble in firing line. The CCB Machine Gun Squadron had 16 such weapons.
The CCB, formed in 1915, consisted at first of three units—the Royal Canadian Dragoons, Lord Strathcona’s Horse and the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery. The Fort Garry Horse, a militia from Winnipeg, and the Machine Gun Squadron were added in 1916. Serving as part of the British cavalry division, the CCB’s first mounted action was at the Somme in 1916. In 1917 they pursued the surprise German withdrawal to a new defensive position called the Hindenburg Line. Lt Frederick Harvey was awarded the CCB’s first Victoria Cross in recognition of his role in liberating a village during this pursuit.
By late 1917 the CCB was considered one of the best brigades within the British Cavalry Corp and took the lead of a large cavalry force during the Battle of Cambrai, where a Canadian unit was the only cavalry to penetrate German lines. Lt Harcus Strachan would win a Victoria Cross for his role in this operation. Later Lt Gordon Flowerdew would win a posthumous Victoria Cross for leading a cavalry charge at Moreuil Wood in 1918 at Amiens. Marshal Foch later credited the Canadians with stopping the Germans at Moreuil and preventing a split between the French and British forces. The CCB was key in the victory against the Germans later that year at Amiens and played a role in ensuring the German retreat in the closing months of the war.
The Canadian Light Horse (CLH), distinct from the CCB, was formed in early 1917 from the 19th Alberta Dragoons, the 1st Hussars and the 16th Light Horse. The unit reported to Canadian Corps Headquarters and first saw action at Vimy Ridge in April 1917. The CLH played a key role at Iwuy on October 10, 1918, where the last ever swords-drawn Canadian cavalry charge took place. In the final month of the war, the CLH were in front as a scouting force that ensured protection against attacks by German layback controls.
Pieces of History
Canada's Mounted Troops
Major Michael R. McNorgan
Instructor, Royal Military College, Kingston
At the beginning of the First World War, horsed cavalry was still an army’s principal mobile arm. However, after the onset of static trench warfare on the Western Front in late 1914 – with thick barbed wire barriers and large numbers of machine guns protecting defensive works – the battlefield utility of cavalry was greatly diminished. Cavalry was nonetheless retained in large numbers because of the perennial hope of breaking through the enemy’s line and rolling up his defences from the rear. Thus, for virtually every major offensive operation during the war, cavalry divisions were kept in reserve.
Canada contributed two distinct groups of cavalry during the War – the Canadian Cavalry Brigade and an independent cavalry regiment known as the Canadian Light Horse.
Canadian Cavalry Brigade
This Canadian Cavalry Brigade was formed in England in the autumn of 1915, consisting of permanent force units, the Royal Canadian Dragoons and Lord Strathcona’s Horse, along with the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery. In early 1916, The Fort Garry Horse, a militia regiment from Winnipeg, was added, along with a Cavalry Brigade Machine Gun Squadron equipped with Vickers machine guns. The Canadian Cavalry Brigade served as part of a British cavalry division for the remainder of the war. Its first mounted action was at the Somme in the summer of 1916. When cavalry units were not needed as reserves for an offensive operation, they were often employed dismounted to occupy quiet sectors of the front.
The Brigade again saw mounted action in March 1917 when tasked to pursue an unexpected German withdrawal to a new defensive position called the Hindenburg Line. During this pursuit, Lieutenant Harvey of Lord Strathcona’s Horse earned the brigade’s first Victoria Cross for valour during the liberation of a French village. By the time of the Battle of Cambrai in November 1917 – best known as the first major tank offensive of the war – the Canadian cavalry was judged to be among the best brigades in the British Cavalry Corps, and it was tasked to serve in the lead of a large cavalry exploitation force. During this operation, a single Canadian squadron was the only cavalry to penetrate German lines, and Lieutenant Strachan of The Fort Garry Horse was awarded the Victoria Cross for gallantry.
The Brigade served with great distinction during the German’s March 1918 offensive toward Amiens, riding from place to place assisting in slowing the relentless enemy advance. Its final action in this operation took place at Moreuil Wood, where Lieutenant Flowerdew of Lord Strathcona’s Horse won a posthumous Victoria Cross for leading a gallant cavalry charge against German machine guns. After the war, Marshal Foch, the Allied supreme commander, credited the Canadians with halting the German offensive at Moreuil and preventing the separation of the French and British armies. Later in that final year of the war, the Canadian Cavalry Brigade was in action during the great Canadian Corps victory over the Germans at Amiens in August, and it played an important part in following up the German retreat in the last two months of the war.
Canadian Light Horse
Until May 1916, three of the four infantry divisions of the Canadian Corps maintained their own independent cavalry squadron of some 150 all ranks . These squadrons – from the 19th Alberta Dragoons, the 1st Hussars and the 16th Light Horse – were then amalgamated into an ad hoc regiment that reported directly to Canadian Corps Headquarters. In early 1917, this unit was named the Canadian Light Horse.
The Canadian Light Horse first saw action as a mounted unit in the consolidation of the ground captured in the attack on Vimy Ridge in April 1917. The CLH played a major role in the fighting at Iwuy on October 10, 1918, where the last ever swords-drawn charge by Canadian cavalry took place. During the pursuit of the Germans in the final month of the war, CLH squadrons were always well out in front as a scouting force, ensuring that the Canadian divisions would not be surprised by German lay-back patrols. When the war ended for the Canadians in Mons Belgium on November 11, 1918, the Canadian Light Horse was already well beyond the city.
Modern armoured fighting vehicles – tanks and armoured cars – owe their development in part to the stalemate created on the Western Front by the deadly combination of machine guns and thick belts of barbed wire protecting trench lines, along with massive artillery bombardments that could be brought down with great accuracy on an attacking force. The problem of how an attacking force could be strengthened to overcome well-defended trenches had been studied by British scientists since late 1914. They came up with the idea of a ‘land ship’ – a tracked vehicle protected by armour plate, large enough that it could carry guns or machine guns, drive over belts of barbed wire, and crossover trenches. This highly secret vehicle was given the code name ‘tank’.
Tanks were first introduced in limited numbers during the battle of the Somme in mid-September 1916, and the Canadian Corps was given seven (these models were called the Mark I) for its attack on the village of Courcellette. But these early versions were mechanical nightmares; almost all broke down before they got anywhere close to the German lines. Still, scientists kept improving their tank designs. Finally, in November 1917, tanks were used in large numbers in a successful offensive at Cambrai: the era of mechanized warfare had been born. Tanks then played major roles in the Battle of Amiens in August 1918, in the breaking of the Hindenburg Line in September, and in the pursuit of the retreating Germans in October and November 1918.
Early in 1918 many thought the war might well last into 1919, and the Canadian Army agreed to raise tank units. The 1st Canadian Tank Battalion was recruited from university students, and in June 1918 it was sent to England to begin training at the British Tank School. Despite the general aversion to volunteering at this stage in the war, a 2nd Battalion was also quickly raised. The 1st Tank Battalion had just completed its training and was preparing to leave for the front when the Armistice was declared on November 11, 1918. Thus, while no Canadian tank unit saw action in the war, many Canadians did serve in British tank battalions, and in a number of instances displayed their nationalism by painting maple leafs prominently on their vehicles.
THE MOTOR MACHINE GUN BRIGADE
In 1914, Canada created the world’s first armoured unit. The driving force behind this achievement was Raymond Brutinel, a wealthy engineer originally from France, who had the idea that lightly armoured vehicles designed to carry machine guns would be especially useful. He offered to raise the funds for the vehicles, a suggestion which was readily accepted by the government. Brutinel designed the vehicles, had them built, purchased the machine guns, and recruited the soldiers, all within two months. His new unit was given the name ‘Automobile Machine Gun Brigade No. 1’. In the next few months three other mobile machine gun units were raised, all paid for by private subscription – the Eaton Battery, the Borden Battery and the Yukon Battery. All four units found their way to France where, in 1915, they were amalgamated under Brutinel’s command as the Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade.
Brutinel’s Motors came into their own in the last year of the war, when the stalemate of trench warfare had been broken. This highly mobile force played an especially important role in stemming the onslaught of the Germans’ March 1918 offensive, and a second similar brigade was formed. The Motors were a valuable part of a composite formation of cavalry, armoured cars and cyclists, termed ‘The Independent Force’, during the Battle of Amiens in August 1918. Between September and November this force led the Canadian Corps from one victory to another during the pursuit to Valenciennes and finally to Mons on November 11, when the war ended.
At the beginning of the war, each Canadian division had its own company of cyclists – troops equipped with sturdy bicycles whose tasks included field security and aspects of military intelligence. In the static conditions on the Western Front, they were not very useful, so they tended to be used as guards or labourers. In May 1916 the four companies were amalgamated as The Canadian Corps Cyclist Battalion. In 1918, the battalion was included in Brigadier-General Brutinel’s ‘Independent Force’, and there they served valiantly at Amiens and in the Pursuit to Mons as a form of mounted infantry – riding to the scene of action, dismounting and then fighting as infantry.
Ellis, W.D., ed. Saga of the Cyclists in the Great War 1914-1918. Toronto: Canadian Corps Cyclist Battalion Association, 1965.
Lynch, Alex. Dad, the Motors and the Fifth Army Show: The German Offensive, March 1918. Kingston, ON: Lawrence Publications, 1978.
---. The Glory of Their Times : 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade, March 1918. Kingston, ON: Lawrence Publications, 2001.
Marteinson, John and Michael R. McNorgan. The Royal Canadian Armoured Corps: An Illustrated History. Toronto: Robin Brass Studio, 2000.
Mitchell, G.D., Brian Reid and W. Simcock. RCHA - Right of the Line : An Anecdotal History of the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery from 1871. Ottawa: RCHA History Committee, 1986.
Wallace, J.F. Dragons of Steel: Canadian Armour in Two World Wars. Burnstown, ON: General Store Publishing, 1995.
Williams, S.H. Stand to Your Horses : Through the First World War, 1914-1918 with the Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians). Winnipeg: Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) Regimental Society, 1999 (1961).